Jul 20, 2024  
2022-2023 Catalog 
2022-2023 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Financial Aid

Roughly, 95% of Heritage University students receive financial aid.  All students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to determine eligibility.  Students not eligible for Federal Financial Aid due to citizenship status can apply for Washington State Aid by completing the Washington Application for State Financial Aid (WASFA). The application for FASFA is available online at www.fafsa.ed.gov. If ineligible to file the FAFSA, Washington resident students and their families should submit a Washington Application for State Financial Aid (WASFA).  The WASFA is available online at www.readysetgrad.org/wasfa. Applications for FASFA And WASFA should be done as soon as possible after October 1 of each calendar year.     

Students must apply for admission to Heritage University and be accepted to receive financial aid.  If you are selected for Verification be sure to get all documents required for verification submitted to the Financial Aid Office one full week prior to the state of each semester.  Failure to do so my result in charges. 

Students and parents should plan to apply for FASFA and select Heritage University even if they are not sure of their intention to go to college or select a different college.  The Financial Aid file will be sent to Heritage University and the Office of Financial Aid will process an Award letter for the academic full year.  Each Award Letter will indicate the estimated budget, the Estimated Family Contribution (EFC), grants, and any institutional scholarships.  Loan are optional; if students chose to take out loans, students must complete loan entrance counseling and the master promissory note at www.studentsloans.gov

Over-awarding is when a student’s total need-based awards, such as State and Federal grants, exceed their calculated Financial Need, as determined by the FAFSA using a student’s Expected Family Contribution (EFC).  Per Federal and State regulations, Heritage University is required to resolve all over awarding before additional financial aid can be awarded. In most cases, over-awarding is resolved by reducing and/or canceling financial aid offered. Undisbursed loans will be reduced before any reduction is made to other awards. You may be asked by Financial Aid staff to submit a Cost of Attendance adjustment form to assist with resolving over-awarding. 

Over-awarding can occur when the Office of Financial Aid is not aware of financial assistance a student received before the Award Letter was generated and distributed. Students are responsible for notifying Office of Financial Aid as soon as they are aware of additional aid, scholarships or grants they will receive. 


Financial Aid is administered in accordance with Federal and State regulations.  Financial Need is the difference between the Cost of Attendance for a particular university or college and the Total Amount a student and their family should be able to provide for educational expenses, commonly referred to as the Estimated Family Contribution or EFC. Educational expenses include:

Tuition and Fees
Living and Personal Expenses

Financial assistance can include:

Subsidized Student Loans
Unsubsidized Student Loans
Federal and State Grants
Internal and Outside Scholarships
Federal and State Work-study

Students are expected to make academic progress and maintain “good academic standing” while receiving financial aid.  A minimum of a 2.0 GPA is required and completion of attempted credit hours will ensure students stay in good standing. 


The Office of Financial Aid works hard to ensure that all aspiring students have access to funding to pursue an education.  Federal, State, and privately funded scholarships may have restrictions around eligibility based on enrollment, residency, financial need, citizenship, or enrollment. To receive maximum financial support, students must apply for FASFA or WASFA, and apply early.     

Eligibility Information:

  • Undergraduate full-time enrollment is 12-18 credits each semester.
  • Undergraduate part-time enrollment is a minimum of 6 credits each semester.
  • Graduate part-time enrollment is a minimum of 2 credits each semester, students should check program requirements as well.  
  • Admissions to the University is when a student has completed all the admissions requirements, which can include completion of the application, submission of official transcripts, and placement testing.
  • Admission to some undergraduate or graduate programs is when an accredited degree program has additional admissions standards to apply and remain in the program.    
  • Pell grant eligibility, including grants, work-study, and loans, is determined by the Federal Government and a students’ financial need. Students should consult the FASFA eligibility requirements for detailed information.  https://studentaid.gov/understand-aid/eligibility/requirements.
  • State grant eligibility is determined by the WASFA (Washington Application for State Financial Aid) application.  State grant aid is available to undocumented individuals, students who cannot file for FASFA, or who do not wish to file for various reasons. For more information including application visit https://readysetgrad.wa.gov/.   

Determining Need

Two factors affect a student’s eligibility for financial aid: 1.) the cost of attendance and 2.) the expected contribution from income and assets of the student and his or her family. The formula is as follows: Cost minus family contribution equals need. The need determines the maximum amount of financial aid awarded.  (Cost of Attendance – Estimated Family Contribution = Financial Need).

The total cost of attendance depends upon several factors, such as marital status, whether the student has children to support, and whether the student is a dependent or independent. For a dependent student, the expected family contribution would include the parents’ contribution and the student’s contribution. Single students under 24 years of age are considered dependent unless they meet certain criteria involving veteran status, having dependents of their own, or other variables. For the independent student, the resources usually include only the student’s contribution and the spouse’s. See Federal Student Financial Aid’s publication titled “The Student Guide” or the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for details.

The family’s contribution is officially calculated from the FAFSA, which requires up to six weeks for processing and may be submitted by mail or online. This analysis determines the family’s expected contribution.

Once the need has been determined by subtracting family contributions from the cost of attendance, a combination of federal and State grants, scholarships, and loans (subsidized or unsubsidized) and/or work study employment (federal and State) is packaged to meet the need. The composition of the funding makes up the “package” which will depend upon the need level, eligibility requirements for the various programs, meeting of deadlines for various programs, availability of funds, and student choice.

Application Process

To be considered for maximum funding for each academic year, the admission application and the FAFSA or WASFA should be submitted by December 15.

To apply for financial aid, all applicants must submit the following forms:

  1. Students must be officially admitted before financial aid will be awarded.
  2. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is available online at www.fafsa.ed.gov - or Washington Application for State Financial Aid (WASF) is available online at www.readysetgrad.org/wasfa or by mail.
  3. Students should work with the Financial Aid Office if they are selected for verification. Additional forms, required documentation, and worksheets may be required before funds can be awarded.  Contact the Financial Aid Office at (509) 865-8502 for additional information or visit us online at www.heritage.edu/financialaid.

Financial Aid Programs


  1. Federal Pell Grant
    Students can receive up to $6,345 a yearly.  The amount is set by the federal government for 2021-2022.  To qualify, students must demonstrate financial need and be an undergraduate. Funds are from the federal government, through congressional appropriation. Funds can be used towards college costs, and are awarded on basis of the cost of attendance.  Be sure to complete the FASFA, available online at www.fafsa.ed.gov.  Heritage University offers free assistance to students and parents that want to complete the FASFA.
  2. Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
    The amount of FSEOG can range from $200 to up to $4,000 a year.  Students must demonstrate financial need to qualify for the funding.
  3. Washington State College Grant
    Student can receive up to $9,739.  The amount is set by the Washington state Legislature each biennium. To qualify, students must demonstrate financial need, be a Washington state resident, and enrolled for courses at least half-time. The funder is the State of Washington, and matching funds from the federal government. Funds can be used for books, transportation, childcare expenses, room and board, or tuition. Student must request funds are applied to their account. 
  4. College Bound
    The maximum amount of College Bound is $6,061 set by the Washington state Legislature each biennium.  Amount of funding per student is based on the family size and median family income. Student must also be Washington State resident and eligible for the College Bound program. To learn about the program visit https://readysetgrad.wa.gov/college/College-Bound-Sign-Up
  5. Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (Teach Grant)
    A Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant is different from other federal student grants because it requires students to agree to complete four years of qualifying teaching as a condition for getting the grant; and if students don’t complete their teaching service obligation, the grant will turn into a loan that you must repay in full, with interest. To learn more about the Teach Grant visit, https://studentaid.gov/understand-aid/types/grants/teach.
  6. Veterans Benefits
    The University’s V.A. certification officer assists veterans, their dependents, and service personnel in obtaining educational benefits from the Veterans Administration. Total financial aid award cannot exceed demonstrated need.


  1. Subsidized and unsubsidized loans are federal student loans for eligible students to help cover the cost of higher education. The U.S. Department of Education offers eligible students at participating schools Direct Subsidized Loans and Direct Unsubsidized Loans. Visit https://studentaid.gov/understand-aid/types/loans/subsidized-unsubsidized to learn more about eligibility, loan amounts, interest and more.
  2. Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS)
    The U.S. Department of Education makes Direct PLUS Loans to eligible parents through schools participating in the Direct Loan Program. PLUS loans are for graduate or professional students.
  3. Grad PLUS Loans
    Available to qualifying graduate students. The Direct PLUS Loan Application allows students to authorize the school to use their loan funds to satisfy other educational related charges after tuition and fees, and room and board (for on-campus students) have been paid.


  1. Federal and State Work-Study Program.
    Work Study is financial aid for low- and middle-income students. Qualifying students get an approved job, on- or off-campus, to support their education. Work study builds students’ skills, increases their earnings, and reduces reliance on student loans.
  2. Off-campus employment through Federal Work-Study (FWS) Program or State Work Study (SWS) Program. Students may be placed in off-campus employment with qualified employers. The Washington Student Achievement Council (for SWS) or the Federal Government (for FWS) reimburses the employer a percentage of the student’s wages. Funding for both programs is limited. Student must apply through the FAFSA and the Financial Aid Office.


Nearly 100% of students attending Heritage University receive a scholarship each year. Funds are provided by by generous donations from individuals and outside corporate and private sources. Awards are generally made based on some combination of need plus academic performance and/or leadership qualities.

The university also makes available information on scholarships from organizations outside of the institution. Contact Financial Aid for assistance in researching and applying for scholarships.


Annual Re-Application

Aid is granted for a period of one academic year at a time. Re-application is needed each year. Complete the FAFSA/WASFA and apply in the winter or early spring for fall attendance. For maximum funding consideration, apply by December 15.

Sample Student Budget

The following sample budget may be used as a guide in estimating college expenses for the purposes of financial aid.

Heritage University Undergraduate Student Budget 2018-2019
All Undergraduate Campuses
Nine Months Living with parents(s)
Living away from parent(s)
(Independent or Dependent)

Tuition and Fees  $17,944 $17,944
Books and Supplies $870 $870
Rent/Food/Utilities $3,270 $9,870
Transportation $1,830 $1,830
Personal Items $1,860 $2,100
TOTAL (9 mos. Year) $25,774 $32,614

Undergraduate Enrollment Status per Semester:

12-18 or more credits per semester = full-time undergraduate status
9-11 credits per semester = 3/4-time undergraduate status
6-8 credits per semester = half-time undergraduate status
5 or fewer credits = less than half-time status

Graduate Enrollment Status per Semester:

6 or more credits per semester = full-time graduate status
4 or 5 credits per semester = 3/4-time graduate status
2 or 3 credits per semester = half-time graduate status

Additional Allowances:

Dependent care and/or childcare may be added. These are restricted to costs directly resulting from the student’s attendance at college. Additional budget adjustments can be made with proper documentation or expenses.

Right to Make Changes

Heritage reserves the right to make changes in procedures, policies and charges related to its tuition and aid programs.