Innovate is a Bachelors of Arts teacher preparation program that is designed for candidates who are interested in teaching Elementary Education (K-8) with a English Language Learners Endorsement and a focus in Elementary STEM education. Innovate is a five-semester program, with courses offered two or three evenings a week in two 8-week sessions. Candidates must have all three sub tests (Math, Reading, and Writing) of the WEST-B’s passed and meet all other requirements prior to program admittance.
Upon satisfactory completion of all requirements for a B.A. in Education degree, passing the NES/WEST-Es, co-teaching, and edTPA (Teacher Performance Assessment), Heritage recommends the candidate for certification for a Washington State Residency Teacher Certificate. The certificate will include all endorsements earned at that time by the student.
Teacher Preparation Admission Requirements
Pass all three sub tests of the WEST-B (math, reading, and writing) prior to program start.
1. Undergraduate students must have an Associate of Arts–Direct Transfer Agreement (AA-DTA) or equivalency.
2. Minimum of 2.8 GPA for last 30 semester (45 quarter) credits for program entry.
3. Completed Application Packet for College of Education.
4. Signed Declaration of Major.
5. Received WATCH background clearance.
Teacher Preparation Program Requirements
Maintain a minimum of 3.0 throughout program.
Clear Moral Character and Personal Fitness–WAC 181-86 and 181-87 and RCW 28-A.410.
Pass the appropriate NES/WEST-E (s).
Pass the appropriate edTPA.