Jun 18, 2024  
2013-2014 Catalog 
2013-2014 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]


Heritage University, because of its size, location and emphasis on personalized education, considers each applicant on an individual basis. The university is interested in students who are motivated to learn, who have a genuine desire to attend Heritage, and who show evidence of being able to benefit from the educational programs. The admissions procedure has been established to help gather information that is relevant to making a decision based on these criteria.

Acceptance to the university results from an overall assessment of background rather than arbitrary standards for grades, test scores, courses taken or achievements. Because the university is small and personalized, the administration, faculty and staff are happy to take the time to explain the admissions process.

New Student Orientation

New student orientation (NSO) is a requirement for all new students. This requirement applies to all undergraduate students, both freshman and transfers, admitted to Heritage. It also applies to all undergraduate students attending a regional site. The orientation is designed as a semester long course for zero-credit, with a pass/fail component. The fee for NSO is $25 and covers the orientation materials for each student. Students must complete the NSO program to be eligible to register for the subsequent semester. Visit the course schedule and select NSO for more information, or contact the Office for Student Affairs at (509) 865-0440.


Freshman Admission

A student who has graduated from an accredited high school is eligible for admission. The university also admits students who have successfully completed the General Educational Development (GED) test or its equivalent. While no specific high school subject matter is required for admission, the university recommends that prospective students complete three years of English; three years of history; one year of laboratory science; two years of mathematics; and four years of other academic subjects such as language, social science, etc. The high school graduate or GED or equivalent applicant for admission submits the following documents to Admissions:

  1. A Heritage admission application or a Washington State Application Form (available from high school counselors in Washington or from Admissions).
  2. An official high school transcript or GED, and test scores or equivalent credentials. The Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT), American College Test (ACT), or Washington Pre-College Test (WPCT) is recommended. After admittance, credit may be given for Advanced Placement (AP) grades.
  3. A Heritage assessment for placement in English and mathematics. All students are assigned an academic advisor to assist in program planning. Students are encouraged to establish a strong working relationship with their advisors to enhance academic success.

International Undergraduate and Graduate Student Admission

Students who are U.S. citizens or have permanent resident alien (green card) status are classified as domestic students; others are classified as international students. An international student may not register for courses until full acceptance to the university has been granted. For admission, submit to Admissions the following documents:

  1. A completed application for admission, including an essay or writing sample. Graduate students submit a statement of purpose/expectation instead of a writing sample.
  2. A certified transcript from high school or equivalent studies and from each college/university attended. These documents require a translated version in English. See further information in the following section.
  3. A nonrefundable application processing fee of $125*.
  4. A completed university Confirmation of Financial Resources form reflecting a balance of $17,692 available to the student.
  5. Satisfactory proof of English proficiency by one of the following:
    1. Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a minimum score of 500 (173 if computer based) for undergraduate application and 550 (213 if computer based) for graduate application.
    2. Transcript from a U.S. school verifying completion of and satisfactory progress in an English as a Second Language (ESL) program.
    3. Transcript verifying high school instruction in English.
  6. Personal provision must be made for housing and transportation since Heritage does not provide student housing and public transportation is not available in the area.
  7. An I-20 form is issued only when all the above materials have been submitted and evaluated and the student has been admitted. This document authorizes the student to request a proper visa to study.
  8. It is recommended that students meet with the admission director and their academic advisor upon arrival.
  9. These requirements may change if required by U.S. federal authorities. Consult with Admissions for the latest information.

* All monetary amounts in this document are in U.S. dollars.

Admissions Process for Students with Foreign Credentials

Students with foreign education credentials are required to have their transcripts evaluated by an evaluation agency. The American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO) is the organization Heritage recommends.

Students with foreign education credentials must submit the following documents to Admissions:

  1. A university application form.
  2. An official transcript from the college/university attended; a high school transcript is also required of students who have earned fewer than 60 semester credits.
  3. An official copy of the transcript evaluation report.
  4. For students seeking undergraduate admissions, the university assessment test for placement.

Requesting an Evaluation through AACRAO

AACRAO evaluation request forms are available through their website, http://ies.aacrao.org/, can be received by calling Admissions.

AACRAO is not a department of the university. All payments and communications regarding your transcript evaluation must be made directly with AACRAO.

To receive a transcript evaluation from AACRAO, complete the form and send it along with:

  1. Copies of all official foreign educational records (in original language) with literal translations if the documents are not in English. Translations do not need to be certified, but must be literal (word for word), and the translator must sign the translated copy and include contact information.
  2. Payment of $190* is accepted by money order or credit card (American Express, MasterCard or Visa). No personal checks are accepted. Appropriate fees must accompany the request form.
  3. Send materials to:
    American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO)
    International Education Services
    One Dupont Circle, NW, Suite 520
    Washington, DC 20036-1135

A course-by-course evaluation is necessary to ensure that the proper university-level recognition is given. If the credentials presented are not recommended for university-level recognition (i.e., transfer credit), only a basic statement of comparability will be charged.

Normal processing time is two to four weeks.

*Fees are subject to change. For current fee information, please contact Admissions at (509) 865-8508 or visit www.aacrao.org.

Master’s Degree Student Admission

Applicants with a baccalaureate, master’s or doctoral degree from a regionally accredited college or university should send the following items to Admissions for acceptance to the university:

  1. A graduate application for admission. Indicate your declaration of major by checking one of the programs on the form. An application may be obtained from Admissions, on the website (www.heritage.edu), or by calling (509) 865-8508.
  2. A nonrefundable application fee.
  3. Official transcripts from each college/university attended.

Completion of this three-step application process is the first part of admission to a graduate program. After receiving formal notification of admission to a graduate program, an applicant may then meet with a graduate program chair in the College to 1.) seek final acceptance into a graduate program specialization, 2.) develop a formalized course of study detailing required classes and the sequence of classes to be taken and 3.) register for classes.

Transfer, Post-Baccalaureate and Residency Teaching Certificate Student Admission

Transfer students or students with a baccalaureate degree need to submit the following documents to Admissions:

  1. A university application form.
  2. An official transcript from each regionally accredited college/university attended. A high school transcript is also required of students who have not completed a Washington State AA-DTA degree.
  3. A university placement assessment is required of students who have less than an A.A. degree. Exceptions are considered on an individual basis.
  4. Students who have completed the appropriate Associate of Arts direct transfer agreement (DTA) degree from Washington community colleges are admitted with junior standing must take HUM 305W .
  5. Transfer credits are accepted from regionally accredited (or candidate) colleges and universities, with the following restrictions:
    1. Transfer credits must have a minimum grade of 1.70 (C-) on a 4.00 scale for undergraduates.
    2. A maximum of 60 semester or 90 quarter hours of academic credit is accepted from junior and community colleges toward a four-year degree. (Occupational-vocational courses are not accepted, although exceptions may be made if relevant to a particular major or consortium agreement.)
    3. A maximum of 4 semester credits of physical education credit is accepted toward a four-year degree.
    4. A maximum of 6 semester credits of traditional courses with a pass grade is accepted; however, academic departments may have specific regulations regarding pass courses.
    5. Credits awarded through examination programs such as the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) and Advanced Placement (AP) are evaluated on an individual basis.
    6. Heritage may grant credit for learning sponsored by business, industry or government, if the learning has been evaluated by the American Council on Education (ACE), or by the Program on Noncollegiate Sponsored Instruction (PONSI) of New York.
    7. Credit may be granted for educational experience from formal military service schools that have been evaluated by the American Council on Education (ACE) and that are found in the “Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Forces.”
    8. Domestic and international students who have completed college credits in another country may be considered for freshman admission. Transfer credit is evaluated through a course-by-course analysis and may require review by an external entity with expertise in the field of foreign credential assessment. The acceptance of credit is based on factors such as the current status of the transfer study, applicability to the program, and quality of grades.

Informal evaluations of transfer credit may be requested. Such evaluations are subject to change when all official transcripts are received and evaluated by the registrar. The university reserves the right to evaluate all transfer credits in relation to its programs.

Heritage reserves the right to accept or reject nontraditional means of obtaining credit, depending on the relevance and application of such credits to the total degree program.

Veterans Admission

Veterans of the U.S. military services apply for admittance, as indicated above, to the university and for veterans benefits simultaneously. The university may allow credit for military service activities that have educational content to students who present acceptable military records. Credit for military service is evaluated based on the recommendation from the American Council on Education’s (ACE) Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Forces. Such official records are submitted as part of admission credentials.

University academic programs of study are approved by the Higher Education Coordinating Board’s State Approving Agency (HECB/SAA) for enrollment of persons eligible to receive educational benefits under Title 38 and Title 10, U.S. Code.

The university complies with Executive Order 13607 (Principles of Excellence). Prior to registration, Veterans need to contact the Registrar’s office for academic counseling, financial aid counseling and student support services at Heritage.

Admission Status and Student Responsibility

  1. After all credentials have been reviewed, applicants are notified of their admission status and provided with the name of an advisor. The admission letter may require that certain applicants, such as those who are returning to school after a long absence or traditional students with academic deficiencies, take a preparatory course to upgrade skills for success in college. Recommendations for such courses will be determined through the university assessment.
  2. It is understood that admitted students accept all conditions and regulations of the university as provided in the catalog and the student handbook. It is the student’s responsibility to obtain copies of the catalog and the handbook from the Student Services Center.

Re-Admission Undergraduate Students

Former Heritage undergraduate students who have not been actively enrolled for two years are classified as inactive and must apply for re-admittance by completing the regular admissions process. Returning students who have been inactive for two or more years graduate under the requirements listed in the catalog current at the time of re-entry.

Re-Admission Graduate Students

Heritage graduate students who have not been actively enrolled for two years are classified as inactive and must apply for re-admittance to the university by completing the regular admissions process. Returning students who have been inactive for two or more years graduate under the requirements listed in the catalog current at the time of re-entry.

Re-admission is a requirement for any matriculated student who has finished a graduate course of study and returns to Heritage for another course of study, such as a certificate or an endorsement. Students seeking re-admittance need to apply for re-admission and pay the current admission fee.

Non-Matriculated Undergraduate Students

Students who do not wish to pursue a program leading toward a degree or certificate may register for courses if space permits; if prerequisites are satisfied; and if they hold a high school diploma, GED, or its equivalent. Non-matriculants are not eligible for financial aid, veterans benefits, academic advising or other services provided to matriculated (admitted) students. Non-matriculated undergraduate students may earn 12 credits at Heritage as non-matriculated students.

Credits earned as a non-matriculant may not be applied to any degree or certificate unless the non-matriculant applies and is officially admitted to the university. After admission, a maximum of only 12 credits that were earned at Heritage before admission may be applied to an undergraduate degree.

Non-Matriculated Graduate Students

Students with a baccalaureate degree who do not wish to pursue a program leading toward a graduate degree or certificate may register for courses if prerequisites are satisfied. Non-matriculants are not eligible for financial aid or veterans’ benefits. Non-matriculated students may take only eight (8) semester credits.

Eight (8) graduate credits earned at Heritage may be applied to a master’s program when a non-matriculant is admitted as a graduate student.

In addition, graduate credits earned as a non-matriculant may not be applied to any degree or certificate unless the non-matriculant applies for and is officially admitted to a graduate program.


Students who wish to take a course but without tests, credits or grade may register to audit. Permission to audit is granted for lecture courses only, not for laboratory and studio courses, and on the condition that space is available. The special fees for audit are detailed in the financial policies section.