The Accounting Department offers a Bachelor of Science in Accounting degree and supports accounting requirements for other degree and certificate programs offered at Heritage University. Heritage also provides the additional curricula to satisfy the Washington State Board of Accountancy 150-hour rule for those students wishing to pursue careers as Certified Public Accountants.
The accounting program curriculum at Heritage is consistent with the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) educational framework, called the AICPA Core Competency Framework for Entry into the Accounting Profession. This framework addresses personal competencies, functional competencies, and broad business perspective, which are considered vital for entry into the accounting profession.
Heritage University graduates will be qualified for successful entry into professional accountancy. Those students who wish to pursue the Certified Public Accountant designation will have their program individually tailored to satisfy the 150-hour rule of Washington State as well as the student’s needs. Additional coursework will be tailored to the needs of each student and will include a balance of communications and advanced accountancy, as well as leadership and effective team-building skills.
Learning outcomes for accounting graduates:
- Demonstrate knowledge of business concepts, principles, standards and processes.
- Demonstrate ability to analyze situations, identify opportunities, develop strategies, and solve problems.
- Demonstrate the ability to use accounting and financial information and tools to assist in management planning, controlling, and decision-making.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the legal and ethical responsibilities of business organizations.
- Demonstrate proficiency in communication and interpersonal skills necessary in promoting inclusiveness and engaging diverse people in the business environment.
What kinds of jobs are available for accounting graduates?
Career opportunities are available in a number of areas, including private business, public accounting, and governmental service. Graduates are qualified for advanced study in accounting or business.
- Staff accountant
- Internal auditor
- Financial analyst
- External auditor
- Compliance officer
- Office manager
- Department manager
Degrees and Programs Offered
The Accounting Department offers courses to complete the following degree and program:
ProgramsBachelor of Science